Thai Hot and Sour Soup
with prawns and lemon grass
A refreshing soup found in varying forms on many Thai restaurant menus.
Serves: 2 persons as starter
- 200g king prawns (keep 6 prawns with shell as garnish, the rest peel and de-vein)
- 100g chestnut mushrooms (quartered)
- 2 tbsp Jimmy’s Satay Sauce
- 2 stalks of lemon grass cut into 4cm lengths
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 400ml water
- 1 tbsp chicken powder
- Juice of half a lemon
- Boil all the ingredients for 5 minutes except the prawns and lemon to create a base for the soup.
- Once the soup base is ready, add the prawns and lemon juice. When the prawns are cooked, remove the 6 prawns with shell on and keep aside for garnish.
- Before serving the soup, remove the lemon grass. Place the prawns which still have their shells on the side of bowl. Garnish the soup with green and red chillies, spring onion and chopped coriander if desired.
Tips & Hints
Use this recipe to make noodle soup by adding double the amount of water and 1 tbsp fish sauce. Serve with thin flat rice noodles.